Monday, December 15, 2008

The Fine Art of Procrastination

Procrastination. Others may have it, but Cara and I have made an art form of it. Whether it's NOT getting out of bed in the morning to start a new day, finding things to do besides working on dissertation/thesis papers, or our latest work of procrastination art...avoiding painting our office for the entire weekend; Cara and I have skillfully figured out how to avoid doing those little things we don't really want to do for as long as possible. Here's how it played out.

(Scene opens to find Matt and Cara in the upstairs living room.)

Matt: So, I guess we better start prepping that office for painting. (He continues reading "Marley and Me".)
Cara: Yeah. (She continues to play Wii Tennis.)
Matt: Maybe an Irish Car Bomb will get us motivated. (Together, they leave the room, presumably to have an Irish Car Bomb. They return moments later and resume their previous activities).
Cara: Let me finish my tennis match. Then we can paint.
Matt: Cool. I want to finish this chapter real quick.

(Two hours pass. Now Cara and Matt are playing Wii together.)

Matt: Baby Mario!! ARRRGHHH!!! You're my nemesis!!
Cara: (Rolls eyes. Mutters under her breath.) What have I gotten myself into?
Matt: What was that?!?
Cara: I said, should we just prep AND paint tomorrow?
Matt: Oh. Yeah. That sounds good...(yelling at game)..COME ON!! I HATE YOU BABY MARIO!!!

(The scene fades on Cara and Matt playing Mario Kart into the "Wii" hours of the morning...)

(The next morning, Cara's cell phone alarm blares "So What" by Pink....for the FIFTH time. It is few minutes after 11am)

Cara: Where's my pillow?
Matt: Zzzz....
Cara: Pillow thief! Where's my pillow?
Matt: (singing along) Gave it to Jessica Simps.
Cara: Oh you're hilar. (Punches Matt in the chest).
Matt: I don't want to paint today.
Cara: Me neither. I'm gonna go do some Christmas shopping.
Matt: Sounds good - I'll "prep" a little bit.
Cara: By prep, do you mean set your fantasy football lineup?
Matt: No. I'll prep. I promise.
Cara: Mmmhmmm...

(The two climb out of bed to get their Saturday underway. True to form, no painting gets done. Cara shops. Matt actually does manage to do some prepping. That evening, the two them don their holiday festive wear for a Christmas Party at Lane and Sarah's house. They return, exhausted, and head to bed.)

Cara: Are you sure you want to paint tomorrow? We could just paint when we got back from the NW.
Matt: Don't tempt me.

(The two drift off to sleep. The next morning, they are again roused by the catchy Pink tune, "So What".)

Cara: We should probably get up.
Matt: Zzzz...
Cara: How are you still asleep?
Matt: What are you talking about? I'm awake!
Cara: Mmmhmm.
Matt: Can we hit snooze just once?
Cara: I've already hit snooze 4 times.
Matt: Oh. Hmm...I suppose we better get up then.
Cara: Time to paint.
Matt: Or we could not paint.
Cara: If we don't paint, we definitely need to go to church.
Matt: Why? Procrastination isn't a sin!!
Cara: Nice try. Church?
Matt: Sure. But I don't want to paint.
Cara: K. We'll paint one evening this week. We have to!
Matt: Sounds good. Tomorrow night the procrastination ends. We're gonna get that room painted no ifs ands or buts!)

(Off to church they went. After church, the two hit Panera for lunch and then enjoyed a lazy Sunday complete with chores, some napping, and some leisurely reading/Wii playing. Matt finished "Marley and Me" and stole an occasional glance at the NFL games. Cara increased her pro-status in Wii tennis and blogged about the adorable card her cute nephew mailed us. All-in-all, it was a relaxing last non-workday in Knoxville before the holidays beckon the young couple home to the NW. Will the office get painted? Will the procrastination madness continue? Stay tuned!)

4 comments:

  1. Hilarous! And true!

    Looks like your blog format was inspired by my radio play script writing for work. You could definitely do my job...the suspense is killing me. Will we paint before Friday??? (I kind of hope the answer is no!)

    PS to all the readers who think I'm addicted to Wii- Matt did exaggerate my Wii playing. On Sunday I didn't play Wii, I actually spent hours upon hours crafting our wedding website while Matt read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoops! That was oversight on my part - thanks for the correction Cara! I better watch what I type - I don't want to go spreading stereotypes that simply are not true!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cutenesses you guys are. Matt makes a mostly uneventful weekend fun to read about! Wedding website? I expect you'll be giving us the deets on that when you feel it's presentable to the public?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't really believe you two know the meaning of procrastination ... great story and well told ... see y'all Friday.

    ReplyDelete